Sunday 16 October 2011

Skye's the limit

Friends will tell you I am guilty of glass-half-full-ism to the extreme. In Nic world everything is fantastic, amazing, wonderful. There are times when this seeing the joy in everything approach means no one believes me when something truly is fantasic, amazing, wonderful of course. A bit like the boy who cried wolf I guess. I am the Nic who cried wonder!

But you really do have to believe me when I report that Skye is all of the above and more.

I can prove it. Look.









We've spent a very happy week travelling around most of the island, spending all but one night in the same closed for the season campsite where you are welcome to park for free. We looked at a couple of properties just to get a handle on what we would get for our money, registered with all the estate agents on the island, spent time in the bigger towns checking out the shopping, culture and community facilities, drove around large chunks of the coastline and tried to get a real feeling of the different parts of Skye.

We were particularly taken with the Sleat peninsula, and loved our visit to Rubha Phoil. We had some beautiful walks including climbing to the Old Man of Storr (I got about halfway and then paused to admire the view and had a lovely chat with a fellow view-admirer about deep stuff like what life is all about. Amazing who you bump into on the side of a mountain. The others climbed to the top) and of course we saw yet more breathtaking scenery and abundant wildlife.

We definitely left part of our hearts behind when we crossed the bridge back off Skye and onto the mainland yesterday evening as the sun set. But that's fine, because we'll be back.


5 comments:

  1. Wow! Truly beautiful :) Promised our dd Skye that we will take her to the Isle of Skye so if you do decide to take permanent residence there it will give us the perfect opportunity to visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't fall in love with Scotland till we went to Skye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not never ever come to NZ because I fear you will pop xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, the pics of NZ I have seen from you and friends cause me to *know* I would pop! I'd love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy said...The pics & diary lovely reading. Miss you all so much look forward safe journey back to us in Willow.

    ReplyDelete